Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Private
An Upgrade
January 27th, 1890 — Department for the Regulation & Control of Magical Creatures; Morwenna's Office
"...and I have an appointment later this morning to sit down with Mr. Adlard and review any files and correspondence that need special attention," Elinor Goyle reassured her superior from where she sat, a desk and an ocean of awkwardness between them.

From the day she had learned of Mrs. Skeeter's—it was so hard now, to think of her as Morwenna again when such a crucial thing had changed between them—special affliction, Nora had known she could not turn the woman-werewolf into the authorities (Mrs. Skeeter, at the time, had been the authorities, and Nora supposed she herself was now, too), to place the final nail in her mentor's coffin. Not unless she became a danger to the public, at any rate. Her continued silence had been offered without condition and with only a hint of reservation, but that did not mean that things between the two witches had returned to normal.

Her promotion had been a pleasant surprise, and now, with the day of its taking effect here, the new head of the Beast Division found herself wondering if this would help or hinder her relationship with the woman she had looked up to for so long.
Morwenna Skeeter

MJ never ceases to impress ♡ —
Almost from the moment Miss Elinor Goyle had entered into the department’s employ Morwenna had been quite sure that one day the young woman’s intellect and sense would see her flourish. The Ministry was still old-fashioned in its way – the number of feckless men that had been promoted above her own head was testament enough – but Morwenna had long thought that the only way for them to know true progress was for women like her, and now Elinor, to be less of a novelty.

All she wanted now was to celebrate with Elinor. To take her protégé to dinner, drink too much wine (usually her, rarely Elinor) and be quite unprofessional about their colleagues, but things were still uneasy between them and she struggled to see a time when they wouldn’t be.

“Mr Adlard ran a tight ship so I’m sure the handover will be quite smooth,” she allowed herself a small smile though it was a shadow of the sort she used to bestow on Elinor. “I wouldn’t have allowed it any other way.”

Morwenna hesitated, folding her hands neatly on the desk as she tried for simple cordiality and instead ended up with a wavering tone that came perilously close to a burst of emotions. “Is there anything you'd like to ask me?”

The following 1 user Likes Morwenna Skeeter's post:
   Elinor Goyle

[Image: rjts7m.png]
MJ knows my soul rings to the rune of this iconic hat
Yes. Too many things, too few of them relevant to the matter immediately at hand. Elinor had never thought herself as being excessively curious, but wondering had become a consistent state of being since she had learned the truth about Mrs. Skeeter. The thin ice upon which their relationship now stood, however, depended on her curiosity remaining in check. Each question Nora allowed herself to speak would simply be another crack in its surface.

"Having looked at the paperwork thus far, I'm inclined to agree regarding Mr. Adlard's leadership. I trust he'll do equally well, if not better, in his new position," the witch answered. She did not answer the question explicitly stated.
Morwenna Skeeter

The evasion stung, but it was to be expected. Along with excessive formality Morwenna could envision it being the order of the day hereafter, the bricks and mortar of a high wall between them that she found herself desperate to smash down.

“He’ll be a credit to the department I’m sure,” Morwenna said dryly, keeping her hands still on the desk through sheer force of will. But she could feel them shaking, feel the tension in her body threatening to burst out. She had never been this volatile before – control had been her bedfellow for thirty years but the animal inside her was stronger than any reticence she might possess.

“He might even get my job if the bolts on my cellar door give way.”

Elinor Goyle

Discomfort gave way to...was that anger? at Mrs. Skeeter's nonchalance. Nora felt her gaze, so carefully averted, snap sharply to the other woman, eyes narrowing at the remark. How could she joke at such a thing?!
Morwenna Skeeter

“Ah, there we are,” Morwenna lifted her chin, locking eyes determinately with the young woman that had once been as close as a daughter to her. Anger had to be more satisfying than this pernicious, agonising indifference. “You do remember after all.”

"Of course I remember!" the words came quickly, short and pointed, but soft in volume, given the...nature of the topic. "It is branded upon my memory."

The moment the woman she most looked up to stopped being any of those things was a difficult one for Nora to put behind her.
Morwenna Skeeter

The following 1 user Likes Elinor Goyle's post:
   Elladora Black

Morwenna felt a stab of shame at forcing Elinor to have this out with her, and a small part of her was afraid that pushing the younger woman might be her undoing in the Ministry, but she continued nonetheless. She couldn’t stand this any longer.

“If I could take the burden of knowing away from you I would,” she replied softly. “I certainly never wished to inflict it upon you of all people Elinor.”

"Perhaps it would be better if you could," Elinor answered frankly, "or perhaps if you had no contrived to keep it from me for so long. It is too late now on both counts, however."
Elladora Black
So sorry for the delay! <3

“And how would I have told you? ‘Oh, by the way, I appear to have become a werewolf through my own stupidity. I hope this won’t affect our working relationship.’

Morwenna breathed out sharply, leaning across the desk towards her protégé, her hands laid on the desk in entreaty to the younger woman.

“I thought I could do more good by taking this position and trying to make things easier for people like me. God knows I understand more than any other head of this department ever has before and I am sorry I didn’t tell you Elinor but I was frightened of everybody for so long. Even you. Which I hope I was wrong about.”

Elinor pursed her lips for a moment before confirming, "I have kept your secret, though I shall be condemned for doing so quite swiftly if you should be found out."
Morwenna Skeeter  —

“If that ever comes to pass I certainly won’t implicate anyone else,” Morwenna said wearily, leaning back in her seat. “I highly doubt Mr Adlard would question your integrity and I have been in a unique position when it comes to turning the tide of any investigation.”

Elinor clearly had no time for levity, for which Morwenna couldn’t entirely blame her, but it struck her heart to think that she could never share such a relationship with the younger woman again.

“Perhaps one day you might permit me to tell you what happened?”

Elinor Goyle

What happened.

Elinor had both yearned and dreaded to know this since she had made the unwelcome discovery, had almost asked on so many occasions. Perhaps, given her new position, Nora might become more sympathetic to Morwenna over time—perhaps this would be the first step.

Hesitantly, she gave a small nod.
Morwenna Skeeter

A wave of relief washed over Morwenna at that slight gesture. True, it wasn’t much, but it was a start and she was nothing if not an optimist. (Frankly, after the last few years, it would have been impossible for her to be anything but.)

“I can’t tell you what a relief that is,” Morwenna said, blinking rapidly to keep her emotions at bay. “But not today. Today there is too much work to do and you know how much I hate being interrupted when something is important.”

Elinor pursed her lips. Of course it would not be today, not when they had made some headway.

"Of course," was her cordial, if pinched, reply.
Morwenna Skeeter

It was not an encouraging response, but it was better than the cold wall she had been up against for so long, and so Morwenna took it as another piece of penance. It was no less than she deserved and she would tell Elinor everything that had happened that night and since but she had pushed her luck far enough as it was today: not only with Elinor but with the rest of the Ministry too. Perhaps, for the first time, it was a blessing that her femininity meant her peers paid her precious little attention?

"Come for dinner soon, like you used to, and I swear I will explain everything."

However ugly the truth was.

wrap?

View a Printable Version